When using our services, customers are entrusting their data, including information about other individuals (i.e., personal data), into our care and it is one of our core duties to each Organization Owner to ensure that appropriate measures are in place on our side for the protection of the personal data that are processed via his Organization (“Relevant Data”). This Data Protection Policy (“Policy”) describes some of those measures. All capitalised terms used in this Policy and not otherwise defined herein have the meanings ascribed to them in our Terms of Service.
The rights and obligations of the customer as an Organization Owner are determined separately in a Data Processing Agreement (DPA) between the Customer and us i.e., the parties' relationship in the context of the personal data processing.
1. We place strict controls over our employees’ access to Relevant Data and are committed to ensuring that these data are not seen by anyone who should not have access to them.
2. The operation of the Service requires that some of our or our corporate subsidiaries’ employees have access to the systems we use for processing Relevant Data (e.g., in order to diagnose a problem you are having with the Service, we may need to access your Organization, including its Relevant Data). These employees are prohibited from using their access permissions to view Relevant Data unless it is necessary to do so.
3. We have technical controls and policies in place to ensure that any access to an Organization is logged. All of our employees and contract personnel are bound to our policies regarding Relevant Data and the security of these data is a matter of great importance to us.
4. We transmit data over public networks using proper encryption. This includes data transmitted between our customers and the Service. Our systems support some of the most advanced commercially reasonable cipher suites to encrypt all data in transit, including (but not limited to) the use of TLS 1.2 protocols, AES256 encryption and SHA2 signatures (as supported by the customer).
5. Data at rest in our production environment is encrypted at the storage level using either AES256 or AES 128. This applies to all types of data at rest within our production systems.
6. We monitor the changing cryptographic landscape and upgrade our cipher suite choices as the landscape changes.
7. The Service is hosted in data centres operated by industry-leading service providers who offer state-of-the-art physical and other protection for the cloud infrastructure underlying our Service user environment. These cloud providers are responsible for restricting access to the above infrastructure to authorised personnel only.
8. Each customer’s data are hosted in the public cloud resources allocated to us and segregated logically by the Service application. We use a combination of storage technologies to ensure that Relevant Data are protected from hardware failures and return quickly when requested.
9. Network access to our production environment from open, public networks is restricted. Only a small number of production servers are accessible from the internet. Only those network protocols essential for delivering the Service to its users are open at our perimeter.
10. We employ the state of the art mitigations against distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks at our network perimeter.
11. Changes to our production environment are restricted to authorised personnel, only via dedicated VPN and we have implemented multi-factor authentication for all server access across our production environment.
12. We understand that you rely on the Service to work, and are committed to making it highly-available so that you could count on it. The Service runs on systems that are “fault tolerant”, for failures of individual servers as well as entire data centres. Our operations team tests disaster-recovery measures regularly and staffs an around-the-clock on-call team to quickly resolve unexpected incidents.
13. Organization Data (including Relevant Data) are stored redundantly at multiple locations in our cloud provider’s data centres to ensure availability. We have adequate backup and restoration procedures in place to allow recovery from a major disaster. Organization Data and our source code are regularly backed up and our operations team is alerted in case of a failure with this system. Backups are automatically tested daily and we perform full restore exercise periodically.
14. We maintain a centralized logging system in our production environment for information concerning security, monitoring, availability, access and other metrics about the Service. These logs are analysed for security events via automated monitoring software.
15. The secure practices are embedded into the whole product development cycle.
16. New features, functionality, and design changes go through the review process as defined by our SDLC. The security aspects are regularly reviewed internally. In addition, our code is audited by industry standard tools, tested and reviewed prior to being implemented to production environment.
17. The Service, howsoever accessed, requires all users to authenticate, and users are granted unique identifiers for that purpose.
18. We may revise this Policy from time to time to reflect changes to the Service, applicable laws, regulations or standards or other changes that may occur in our business. We shall post the revised Policy (or, as the case may be, our new data protection policy) on the same webpage where we published this Policy or on such other webpage as we then may habitually use for publishing materials such as the Policy. We may also use the Service, email or other means for notifying customers of such policy changes. The revised Policy (or, as applicable, the new one) will be effective when posted as described unless the document itself specifies a later time for its entry into force.
Policy effective as of April 19th 2021.
Last updated: Aug 24th 2023
FOR JOB CANDIDATESToggl Careers Privacy Statement