If you want to take your recruitment process to the next level, a skills assessment platform is the best way to do it. The good news is there are loads of great options out there, and in this article, we’re putting 3 of the best up against each other in the battle of TestGorilla vs Vervoe vs Toggl Hire.
After we’ve re-introduced why skills test platforms are so great, we’ll look at Testgorilla, Vervoe, and Toggl Hire and compare the testing features, candidate experience, and pricing of each software tool to help you decide which one could be for you.
- Why Use a Skills Assessment Platform in Your Hiring Process?
- TestGorilla – Skill Testing, Candidate Experience & Pricing
- Vervoe – Skill Testing, Candidate Experience & Pricing
- Toggl Hire – Skill Testing, Candidate Experience & Pricing
Why Use a Skills Assessment Platform in Your Hiring Process? – A Pre-Made Test Library, Automation & More
Hiring new candidates is a long and tiring process. But, as the business world goes digital and an ever-increasing need for remote solutions emerges, companies are searching for ways to confidently speed up the recruitment process.
To do this, they need a faster, systematic, and more automated solution that still offers real value for money.
That’s where skills testing platforms come in.
Skills assessment platforms make it easy for recruiters to ensure a candidate meets the business needs. Thanks to intuitive features, in a matter of just a few clicks, you can leverage a comprehensive pre-made test library and create expert tests, or coding challenges, for any role.
This gives you and your company the ability to remain unbiased by screening candidates based on their skills alone. Not just that, you leverage the power of software to save time, deliver value for money, and reduce the risk of hiring the wrong person for your next position.
Modern skills test software doesn’t stop there, though. When it comes to great features, many providers have now fully embraced a post-pandemic world and incorporated video interviewing and one-way interviewing (using pre-recorded messages) technologies into their workflows.
This allows you to take your pre-employment testing to the next level by identifying the right candidates, with the right soft skills, for your business!
If you’re not already convinced, by the end of this Testgorilla vs Vervoe vs Toggl Hire comparison we’re sure you’ll be ready to dive into skills testing and become a hiring superstar 🌟🌟🌟
Introduction to TestGorilla
Founded in 2019, Testgorilla is a pre-employment testing tool that aims to replace subjective CVs with objective results that measure job skills and cultural fit. Testgorilla does so by providing customers with a variety of tests that can be stacked together and sent to candidates.
TestGorilla also grounds itself in science, constantly adjusting its testing formula for maximum success, while ensuring you remove bias and create a fair and transparent experience for all.
TestGorilla – The Skills Testing
- A strong pre-made test library covering various topics and skills in different ways
- Features enable users to stack tests, creating a longer multi-skill assessment
- Its features are easy to use, and tests are easy to set up – it’s a user-friendly platform
- Great customer service through live rep chat, email support, and phone.
- There are no job-specific templates – skills only
- While it’s easy to use, it takes time to learn how to stack soft skills tests and technical skills together.
TestGorilla – The Candidate Experience
- TestGorilla UI is easy to use, with a good variety of test types.
- Stacked tests can become long and tedious without instant feedback – high time investment without feedback is frustrating
- TestGorilla allows for aggressive proctoring measures like camera snapshots – eroding trust and creating a negative candidate experience.
TestGorilla – The Pricing
- No free trial, but there is a free version
- Free, Pay-As-You-Go, Scale & Business tiers – from $0 to $2,000 per month
- Entry-level plans are limiting
- Confusing assessment & candidate credits model
Is TestGorilla the Right Skills Assessment Tool for You?
Testgorilla is a good top-of-the-funnel choice for recruiters who want to be involved in the test selection process. It looks great and offers a slick candidate experience, but you need strong expertise in the features, and some spare time to hand, to learn how to stack soft and hard skill tests. Finally, to experience the full potential of the product, you need to upgrade to a high-tier plan which gets expensive very quickly.
Introduction to Vervoe
Vervoe believes that every single day great candidates are treated unfairly. That’s why in 2016, after years of frustration, Vervoe was born to fix a broken recruitment market and ensure candidates have the platform to show off that they can actually do the job.
Vervoe’s USP is in its technology features. They leverage AI-powered grading to deliver a ‘How’, ‘What’, ‘Preference’ Model that accurately predicts real-life job performance based on your business needs.
Vervoe – The Skills Testing
- A strong pre-made test library for skills and job roles based on competency modelling
- A unique customer support simulator for pre-employment testing
- Customer service through live rep chatbot, email, and knowledge base.
- The AI bot needs training through multiple assessments
- The rating scale can be subjective depending on who sets up the bot – it needs a team effort to create accuracy and remove bias
- When comparing TestGorilla vs Vervoe, Vervoe’s features are harder to get started with
- No automated shortlisting feature based on a pass threshold – this slows recruiters down
- Requires a large time investment to understand, configure, and train the AI – otherwise, you may get poor results
Vervoe – The Candidate Experience
- Slick interface with a wide variety of assessments & features
- Tests can be overwhelming if they are too long or complex
- Candidates don’t get instant feedback after completing assessments.
Vervoe – The Pricing
- A free trial is available, but there is no free version
- Starter, Plus, Professional, and Enterprise plans – starting at $109 per month
- A limited number of assessments & features and users in lower tiers
- Quite expensive for what it is – unless you need AI-driven results
Is Vervoe The Right Skills Assessment Tool For You?
Vervoe is great if you need data-driven results through the use of dedicated AI features – perfect for helping you screen very specific types of candidates. Outside of that, it’s quite an expensive software if you simply want to test candidates as part of your early recruitment funnel.
Introduction to Toggl Hire
Toggl Hire has been powering remote recruitment since 2017. It’s the only full-funnel hiring software in this round-up, and it’s specifically created by remote workers for remote workers. Toggl Hire believes it’s time to ditch the CV in favor of skills assessments, as knowledge trumps experience each and every time.
With a range of test types (including videos), a self-service portal dashboard, and a range of handy automation features, Toggl Hire delivers the best value for money when it comes to pre-employment software.
Toggl Hire – The Skills Testing
- All-in-one software for skills assessments, video interviews, and the end-to-end recruitment funnel
- A 15,000-question strong pre-made test library for skills and job roles
- Stack technical and soft skills into one assessment – a comprehensive view of future job performance
- Anti-cheating features that respect candidates’ privacy and maximize the experience
- Automation for pass thresholds, candidate grading, and funnel progression – speed up the talent acquisition process
- Bonus: homework assignment tests are coming soon!
- Toggl Hire doesn’t include live coding or coding game assessments
- No priority SLAs.
Toggl Hire – The Candidate Experience
- Instant candidate feedback on results vs. other candidates
- Skills assessments are gamified to make them fun and engaging for candidates
- Test questions rooted in practical knowledge, not textbooks
- Anti-cheating measures that respect candidates’ privacy
- Recording video answers in the Video test can be uncomfortable for some candidates
Toggl Hire – The Pricing
- There’s no free trial, but there is a free plan for up to 5 users
- Basic, Premium & Business plans – starting at $17 per month
- No additional fees, no extra product payments, no hidden costs
- Affordable prices with great features for all types of companies
Is Toggl Hire the Right Skills Assessment Tool for You and Your Hiring Managers?
Here are 12 reasons why we think Toggl Hire is the best choice for businesses when it comes to skills testing:
- The only hiring tool that’s built for remote hiring 🖥️
- Supports the entire recruiting funnel, not just initial candidate screening ✅
- Expert-created test library with different question types and pre-made role-specific job templates to suit every hiring need 💪
- Automations (pass threshold, email, bulk actions, etc) that do the work for you – saving you time, effort, and money 🚀
- Packs role-specific soft and technical skills into one assessment, offering a comprehensive view of a candidate’s future job performance 🙌
- Granular test reports provide insight into candidate’s strengths and weaknesses, allowing you to compare and shortlist fairly ⚖️
- A visual drag-and-drop candidate pipeline helps hiring teams see their entire recruiting funnel in one place 🕹️
- Extra features for async, one-way, and video interviews – providing full interview management capability 📹
- Full test customization that aligns with your brand, website, and values 🎨
- Premium-level support including live rep chat, email, and a dedicated account manager 🤝
- Unlike similar products, anti-cheating measures build trust and level the playing field 🕵️
- Candidates love Toggl Hire thanks to sleek tests, instant feedback, and gamification 🧡
- The most affordable solution, with a free version and subscription pause options 💸
Summary – TestGorilla vs. Vervoe vs. Toggl Hire
If you’re tired of the same old recruitment process, it’s time to look for something new.
Replace the CV screening, discovery calls, and application sifting with skills testing platforms that do the hard and boring work for you. Not only that, these platforms actually give you richer insights into your candidates, helping you understand their personality, skills, and motivations rather than simply reviewing words on a page.
And best of all, they give you more clarity over your hiring decisions, helping you remove the guesswork and fill your next job with the right candidate.
Like the sound of that?
If so, you’re in luck, as there are loads of tools out there for you, whether it’s one of the three from today’s battle of TestGorilla vs. Vervoe vs. Toggl Hire or another from the market.
While all skills testing tools provide similar benefits, companies see huge improvements in time savings, productivity boosts, and employer branding when opting for an all-in-one solution that’s tailored to their needs.
That’s why we think Toggl Hire could be the best choice for you. (and you can get started free)
James Elliott is a Strategy Manager and Writer from London, UK. When not working on the day job, James writes on a variety of business and project management topics with a focus on content that enables readers to take action and improve their ways of working. You can check out James’ work on his website or by connecting on LinkedIn.